SD AONB Partnership

South Devon AONB Partnership Committee Meeting

Date: Friday 18th September 2020
Location: Remote video meeting via Microsoft Teams
Time: 10am – 11:30am
Draft Agenda

  1. Introductions & apologies for absence
  2. Declarations of Interests
  3. Minutes of the last Partnership Committee meeting (13th March 2020) for approval & any matters arising
  4. AONB Management
    a) COVID-19 related matters and AONB management
    b) Climate and Biodiversity Emergency – the emerging Interim Devon Carbon Plan and matters for consideration *
  5. AONB Partnership matters
    a) Round-table partner updates
  6. National matters
    a) England planning system reform: Changes to the current planning system (consultation ends 1st October 2020); Planning for the Future White Paper (consultation ends 29th October 2020); and changes to Permitted Development rights *
  7. AONB Partnership matters (continued)
    a) AONB Partnership Public Open Forum – review of timing and format
    b) Glover Review – diversity and AONB governance
  8. For Information
    a) Current and recent key planning applications
    b) Planning update covering the last six months
    c) AONB Staff Unit Activity Report these matters are intended to form the primary agenda items
    Please note: As this is a video conference based meeting, the usual Partnership Committee meeting format has been modified slightly to facilitate more discussion and to be shorter in duration.

GLOVER REVIEW PROPOSALS AND THE SOUTH DEVON AONB – Meeting June 2019 

Because of the importance of the Glover Review we make no apology for posting an extract from the June AONB Partnership Meeting Minutes – published this month.   

https://www.southdevonaonb.org.uk/about-the-aonb/looking-after-the-aonb/south-devon-aonb-partnership/partnership-committee-members

The AONB Manager briefed Members of the Partnership on the Landscapes Review final report. The meeting Papers contained the full list of the proposals as a matrix that included the AONB Manager’s assessment of whether the proposal: 

• is already being delivered or planned to be delivered 

• could be actioned without significant extra resources 

• significant funding or capacity would be required 

• requires legislation 

The AONB Manager has added the current relative priority for South Devon AONB (High/Medium/Low) to the matrix. 

Key points: 

4a.1 The list of proposals has not been costed however some may be achievable with a Partnership decision for a change of direction. Other proposals will rely on finance and legislative changes. 

4a.2 Defra are preparing information in support of the Government response to the Landscapes Review. An announcement is anticipated to be made early 2020. 

4a.3 Members are encouraged to consider the South Devon AONB Partnership response. In particular to look at the list of proposals list, identifying those that could be prioritised to be taken forward straight away. The delivery plan for next financial year is currently being developed and there is some flexibility to incorporate Partnership priorities where additional funding and resource are not required. 

ACTION 1 (ALL): The AONB Manager requests that Members send comments on the proposals to him. Feedback will be collated and used to commence preparing a Partnership Committee response. 

4a.4 The AONB Manager invited Members to look at the areas of work where action could be taken now. 

ACTION 2 (ALL): The AONB Chair invited Members to inform the AONB Manager of any projects that 

support any of the Glover Review Proposals. 

4a.5 The Vice-chair informed Members that Plymouth University provided some evidence to the Glover Review in terms of indicators. They now have some funding to work locally with Natural England and Defra on identifying some of those indicators and their use to measure issues and improvements. Will work with National Parks and AONBs to understand the issues and will be working closely with South 

Devon AONB unit. 

4a.6 The representative for tourism highlighted the key role public transport has in sustainable tourism as well as the importance of having information available to educate visitors and influence behaviour. The 

Tourism representative also raised the possibility of obtaining contributions from tourism businesses in the South Devon AONB. The key will be to request donations in support of defined projects to conserve and improve the area, rather than contributions to the AONB generally. 

It was then: 

RESOLVED: 

i. The AONB Manager invited Members to contact him, or another member of the staff unit, to 

aid their understanding of the Proposals how these may relate to their own area of interest; as 

well as to explore opportunities such as those outlined by the Tourism representative. 

ii. The AONB Response to the Glover Review Proposals will be on the agenda for the next 

Partnership Committee meeting to be held on Friday 13 March 2020. 

THE FULL MINUTES ARE AVAILABLE HERE 

Sign of the times – The ‘rules’ of engagement in a remote video meeting via Microsoft Teams

Partnership Committee members are encouraged to join the meeting promptly. It is suggested to join at least ten minutes before the scheduled start time to resolve any issues with joining and to avoid disrupting the meeting.

The Chair will remind all participants of the importance of

–              Muting microphones when not speaking – it stops everyone hearing what is happening in the background which with larger groups will be problematic.

–              Remaining focussed on the topic being considered

–              Not repeating points that have already been made

–              Keeping points short

–              Avoiding interruption / cutting across

–              Waiting until the Chair calls on you to speak

–              Being clear on proposals being put forward

The Chair will also inform Members:

–              To remember that notetaking is more problematic as it is harder than normal to identify who is speaking / what is being said, so please speak clearly and at a reasonable pace.

–              That the notetaker may need to interrupt to get clarity on what is being said for the record.

Procedure

  • At the start of the meeting, the Chair will carry out a roll call of Partnership Committee members. Unmute microphone (and switch video on if necessary) before confirming you are present.
  • Any Committee member returning after a disconnection is asked not to interrupt to announce their return.
  • For each item the Chair will invite the relevant lead to introduce the matter / report.
  • The Chair will invite any questions and/or debate at the appropriate time.
    • If you wish to speak please indicate this by clicking on the “raise your hand icon” at any time.
    • If you wish to participate by typing a comment, please use the “chat” facility at any time.
    • The meeting notetaker will lower the “raised hand icon” once the Chair has invited you to speak.
    • If your point has been covered and you no longer need to speak, please lower your “raised hand icon”.
    • If your point has been covered and your comment no longer needs to be addressed, please indicate this via the “chat” facility.
    • If your question or comment is referencing a report or item contained in the meeting papers, mention the page number and item reference so all Committee members have a clear understanding of what is being discussed.

Documents

  • The agenda and meeting papers will continue to be published on the South Devon AONB website and will also be circulated by email to Partnership committee members. Printed copies will not be routinely circulated. As the AONB staff unit are working from home, Partnership Committee members requiring printed papers are asked to provide at least one weeks notice in advance of the meeting.
  • The South Devon AONB website will show the meeting is being held via remote video conference.

Dealing with technical difficulties

  • In the event the quality of the meeting deteriorates, the Chair may request all participants switch video off in addition to muting when not speaking.
  • In the event the Chair, the AONB Manager or notetaker identifies a failure of the remote meeting, the Chair will declare an adjournment while the fault is addressed.
  • If it is not possible to address the fault and the meeting becomes inquorate, the meeting will be abandoned until such time as it can be reconvened.
  • If the meeting is quorate, the Chair will decide if this meeting should continue, depending on the difficulties being experienced, or whether it should be adjourned until a later time or date.
FOSH © 2021
FRIENDS OF SOUTH HAMS

This Web site is for those who love the South Hams “The jewel in the crown of Devon” and who wish to protect and enhance the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: